The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is proud to present a major exhibition devoted to a truly unique American rock and roll band, Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip. The exhibit will open on Thursday, April 12, as a part of the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Week events...Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip explores the band from a non-linear point of view. Individual sections within the exhibit will be devoted to Grateful Dead as a recording group and a touring band, the fans who devotedly followed them, tapers and fellow travelers (people who were important to the band). It will include finished and working manuscripts for classic songs, handwritten notes from legendary taper Dick Latvala, artifacts from original sound designer Owsley “Bear” Stanley, and promoter Bill Graham’s Father Time robe and Grateful Dead Hotline answering machine...Additional highlights include:
· Five Jerry Garcia guitars, including his Travis Bean TB5
· Mickey Hart’s custom-painted drum kit
· Two Bob Weir guitars, including his first Ibanez “cowboy” custom guitar
· Several original lyric manuscripts, including “Truckin’,” “Box of Rain” and “Sugaree”
· Several original Grateful Dead-related artworks, including images from Workingman’s Dead, Without a Net and Fillmore Auditorium poster art
· Bill Graham’s “Father Time” robe
Click here for the full article.